Thursday, March 7, 2013

Just Everything

              Did you ever have those days where you just can’t feel? Your emotions are so strung out on drama or stress or activities that you don’t even know how to act anymore. Today would be my day. I can understand where the saying, “when it rains it pours”, comes from. I came to the realization today that I don’t care for my job, which keeps me from my friends whom I miss, and I play house with my boyfriend who I feel doesn't want to commit. Let me break it down for you. I’m tired. That’s really all it is. I can guarantee if I went out for a run, or got together with some girlfriends I would feel much better. But that would only be a temporary fix anyways, because my problem is insecurities.
                I realize I look for quick fixes. Books that will help me learn what God wants for me, devotionals to lift my spirits, even journaling like this blog. I have to admit, I can be a very silly woman. I came across a piece of scripture that made me realize how blind I can really be. “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psalm 139:23-24). Well DUH! If you want peace, maybe you should go to the king of peace. If you want comfort, instead of running to six girlfriends, your mom, your sister, and the neighbor next door, how about you go to God? God gives out comfort like it’s his job, because, it is. If this is you too, don’t be too hard on yourself, I’m clearly just as silly.
                Search me God. What a statement! Search me and know my heart. To know is to apprehend clearly and with certainty. I want God to know my heart with certainty, but then again, do I want him to know every corner of it even the sinful ones? Probably not. But that’s just what learning about god is all about. It’s learning and knowing that you can let go of those things, and he will keep them safe. We are all so afraid to let go of that sin we cling so closely too. We hate the change of giving something up, or admitting that somewhere along the way, we were wrong. But God isn't going to help us expose our sin, just to dangle it in our face! He is going to destroy it! Romans 6:14 clearly states, “For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. Sin does not own us! If anything we are allowing sin to rule in our lives, because we can’t picture what life would be like without it. I have a girl in my small group who has a horrible relationship with her mother. They fight constantly, exchange harsh words, and help create each other’s brokenness. When I asked her what she would do if her mother came up and just gave her a hug and said I love you hunny, she responded with “she would never do that”. I feel that’s how we are to God taking our sin, we don’t believe it can actually happen. Like in my friend’s case, we have to be just as willing to accept that we have been wrong, and that people, sin or things, can change for the better, once they are in Gods possession.
                Test me and know my anxious thoughts. I could say im a coward, and id much rather not be tested by an almighty God. But then I realized how silly that thought is, because in being tested, you grow. You can learn, grow, and rid yourself of sin after sin by submitting to Gods testing of your heart. He knows your anxious thoughts, and in your frightened state he clearly says “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10). His promises are true, and he promises to strengthen you, and to help you. He isn't going to leave you to do this all on your own. Once we get down to the fact that we are ultimately hopeless on our own, we will find how to be still and focus on God.
                See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Let him lead. Let him guide. All we have to do is follow. Sometimes I think we try to over compensate either to get God to notice us more, or to try to be better for him, but we aren't called to do either. We are asked to follow. Lord god I pray that you can search my heart, for any offensive ways. I pray you can lead me to your healing, and your love that covers multitudes of sins. I pray for the strength to get through the changing in my life, for the ridding of my sins, so that I can rejoice with you after conquering them. Lord help me learn who you are, help me love who you are, and help me imitate your humble nature. Thank you for loving me the way you do, let me understand the way you view me. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment